Danny Garcia versus Lucas Matthysse clash added to Mayweather-Canelo card

July 18, 2013

The boxing event of the year instantly became more exciting thanks to the addition of a tremendous bout to the undercard, as Super Lightweight World Champion Danny "Swift" Garcia and WBC Interim Super Lightweight World Champion Lucas "The Machine" Matthysse will meet on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather versus Canelo Alvarez mega-fight Saturday, September 14 in Las Vegas.

"I'm glad I finally get a chance to fight Danny Garcia," said Lucas Matthysse. "This is the fight that the entire boxing world (especially my country Argentina) and I wanted. I want to thank my promoters Golden Boy Promotions and Mario Arano for making this fight possible. On September 14, I will show the world that I am the best 140 pound fighter on the planet."

In Garcia and Matthysse, fans will get to see two aggressive power punchers go at it in a championship bout that might steal the show from the main event.

More importantly, it could provide a preview of Mayweather's next opponent, assuming he defeats Canelo.


"This is the fight I wanted and the fight that I asked for. That is why I'm so happy this fight has been made and will be a part of this huge event," said Danny Garcia. "I'm more confident than ever in my abilities and I'm going to show it on September 14.  Matthysse is a good fighter and has a big punch, but I'm a talented fighter with what it takes to be a champion and stay that way. This is an opportunity for the world to see what I can really do in the ring."

The addition of Garcia-Matthysse also will mean monster pay-per-view numbers for the promoters and fighters.  Arena seats sold out almost immediately within 24 hours, demonstrating the strong fan base of both Canelo and Mayweather. With another main event-caliber fight now on the card, expect the television numbers to go through the roof.

"The compelling match-up between Garcia and Matthysse could absolutely be its own main event," said Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. "We've added another fight that fans have been clamoring for to an already stellar night of boxing. With the addition of this mega fight we are certain that "THE ONE" will continue to break boxing records."

Garcia (26-0, 20 KO's) is coming off a competitive decision win against veteran Zab Judah.

Matthysse (34-2, 32 KO's), meanwhile, has scored a staggering 94 percent of his wins by knockout, one of the highest KO percentages for a world champion in history. Matthysse, who constantly pressures his opponents and wears them down, was also a solid amateur boxer in his native Argentina.

By Staff of The Daily Sports Herald and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...