Heavyweight Steve Cunningham to face undefeated Amir Mansour

February 19, 2014

Former two-time world champion Steve "USS" Cunningham (26-6-0, 12 KOs) will take on undefeated heavy-hitter Amir "Hardcore" Mansour (20-0-0, 15 KOs) in a ten-rounder on April 4th in Cunningham's hometown of Philadelphia. The fight will be for Mansour's USBA Heavyweight Title, and will be held at Temple University.

The 37-year-old Cunningham is coming off an important recent victory over Manuel Quezada via an eight round unanimous decision. The win snapped a two-fight losing streak that began with his controversial points loss to Tomasz Adamek, and continued with a seventh round TKO loss to Tyson Fury.

With Mansour expected to enter the ring with a 20-pound weight advantage, Cunningham will likely employ a gameplan that utilizes his agility, speed, and boxing skills.

"I'm not going to talk this to death," said Cunningham. "I'm very focused and taking this seriously. This time I'm fighting in my backyard and I want to give my fans a spectacular performance. It's time to fight."

Mansour is a southpaw from Delaware with an interesting background story.

He did not compete professionally for over nine years while he served time in Schuylkill Federal Correctional Institution in Pennsylvania for drug possession. With his thirties now behind him, Mansour is looking to prove that he is not too late to the heavyweight party and that he can compete at the highest level.

He captured the vacant USBA title last summer, scoring a unanimous 12-round decision over Maurice Harris. Mansour then knocked out Kelvin Price in seven rounds.

I'm looking forward to this fight more than any other fight in the past," said Mansour. "I'm gonna train for Steve as if my life depends on the win. I greatly respect Steve, but on April 4th I'm gonna speak to the boxing world, using my hands. I will not be denied."

By Staff of The Daily Sports Herald and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...