Hawaii hires Eran Ganot as Men's Basketball Coach

April 9, 2015

The University of Hawaii has hired Eran Ganot to be its next men's basketball head coach, Chancellor Robert Bley-Vroman announced during a press conference Thursday at the Stan Sheriff Center.

"This is a dream job and a dream destination of mine," Ganot said. "From the very first time I arrived, I knew this state and the University was a special place which I'm very fond of and I consider home. I'm excited to return to the islands and help direct the program through some very challenging times. I'm thankful for all my mentors, including coaches Randy Bennett, Riley Wallace, and Bob Nash, for helping me get to this point. I will do my very best to represent this program the right way on and off the court and in the classroom."

Ganot, 33, is the 21st head coach of the UH men's basketball program, and is the second youngest to lead the Rainbow Warriors (Bruce O'Neil was 28 years old when he was hired in 1973).  A former UH assistant coach, Ganot most recently was the associate head coach at Saint Mary's College in California.

"We are pleased to welcome Eran Ganot as he returns to the University of Hawai'i," Bley-Vroman said. "Eran is known for his work ethic, integrity and dedication to the game. He understands the importance of our team to the people of Hawai'i. I am confident in his experience in coaching winning teams, recruiting and helping student-athletes to grow and succeed."

At St. Mary's, Ganot coordinated all recruiting and scouting efforts and was responsible for game scheduling.  Ganot coached the guards while coordinating an offense that ranked in the top 10 in points per possession and top 15 in rebound margin.  In 2013-14, he served as acting head coach for five games and tallied a 3-2 record.

During his five-year span at SMC, the Gaels made two NCAA appearances, three NIT appearances and won at least 21 games each season—including a three-year stretch in which they notched 25 wins each year.  The Gaels also claimed two conference Players of the Year—both of whom were coached in Ganot's position group.

Under his tutelage, guard Matthew Dellavedova became SMC's all-time leader in scoring, assists, games played, free throw percentage, and three-point shots.  He was named first team all-WCC three times and was the 2012 WCC Player of the Year.  Dellavedova currently plays for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Point guard Mickey McConnell also was named the 2011 WCC Player of the Year under Ganot's guidance.

"I'm very excited that Coach Ganot got the head coaching job at Hawai'i," said Dellavedova.  "I know it's a special place for him and it is very well deserved. EG is an incredibly hard worker who I know will be successful. I will miss seeing him at Saint Mary's but I am excited to see him take hold of this opportunity."

The hire certainly has created a positive buzz among the alumni.

“I’m really excited about the news of Coach Ganot getting the head coaching job at UH," said Bill Amis, former UH basketball forward (2007-11).  "He used to always say that this was his dream job. It was always obvious to us players that he was going to be a really successful basketball coach. He is one of the few coaches that I have ever had who was a great mix of basketball IQ, work ethic, and psychology of a great coach and I think this is going to be a perfect opportunity for him and I’m sure he can’t wait to get to work recruiting and building his team.”

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...