Miami Dolphins fire head coach Joe Philbin

October 5, 2015

The Miami Dolphins announced today that Stephen Ross has relieved Joe Philbin of his duties as head coach. In his place, the Dolphins have named Dan Campbell interim head coach.

“This was a tough decision for me to make knowing how tirelessly Joe worked in his four years here to make this a winning team," said Ross. "He is a man of the highest character and integrity that I developed a close personal relationship with. I am extremely disappointed with how we have started the season, but I feel confident that we can improve quickly with the talent we have on our roster.”

Philbin's days were numbered after the 'Fins got off to a rough 1-3 start this season. They had been mediocre throughout his tenure, but had raised expectations this offseason with the acquisition of star defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh. After a disappointing loss this weekend to the Jets in a showcase game in London, Miami's brass finally decided to pull the plug.

“I want to thank Steve Ross for allowing me the privilege to serve as the head coach of the Miami Dolphins," said Philbin. "This is a tremendous organization from top to bottom that has a talented and dedicated staff. I want to especially thank the players, coaches and football staff who have worked so unselfishly and represented the team with dignity and class. I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the incredible fan base who has supported me and my family unconditionally since day one. It is my hope that the 2015 Miami Dolphins achieve great success both on and off the field.”

Ross admitted the team started contemplating the move "after the Buffalo game,” a 41-14 loss in Week 3.

Campbell has served as Miami’s tight ends coach for the past five seasons. He originally joined the Dolphins prior to the 2010 season as a coaching intern/offense. Campbell joined the Dolphins after 11 years of playing experience with the New York Giants (1999-2002), Dallas Cowboys (2003-05), Detroit Lions (2006-08), and New Orleans Saints (2009).

Campbell talked of changing the culture and bringing more intensity to the franchise.

"We have plenty of talent, we have the people in this building, we have the staff, there may be some things that have to be moved or shuffled as far as that goes, but I need time to sort those things out, but we have enough to win," said Campbell. "We have to change the culture, I have to change the culture and that’s what I intend to do. And what that means is that we need to become a more aggressive front or team in general. We need to get our front four on defense, our front five on the offensive line, just as a whole, we need to breed a culture of competiveness, finish and intensity, and to me that’s where it all starts."

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...