Patriots trade for TE Martellus Bennett

March 17, 2016

The New England Patriots continued their offseason rebuild, announcing that they acquired TE Martellus Bennett and a 2016 sixth-round draft pick in a trade with the Chicago Bears in exchange for a 2016 fourth-round draft pick.

When asked what he expects to bring to the Patriots, Bennett replied, "I think it’s a balance of being able to block, pass protect, and being a complete tight end is probably my biggest strength. I think run-after-catch when the ball is in my hands, being able to make things happen is probably one of my biggest strengths, and being able to get open in clutch situations."

Bennett will provide Tom Brady with another big target, and will also give the team some insurance in the event that star tight end Rob Gronkowski sustains another injury. The Patriots are also expected to use Bennett in two tight end sets simultaneously with Gronkowski.

"I think Gronk has always been an awesome tight end and I look forward to learning more about him," said Bennett. "There are some things that he does that I don’t do, and I’m pretty sure there are a lot of things that I do that he doesn’t do, so it’ll be a good challenge to push each other and continue to help us grow as individual players as well as a tandem to do what we can to help the team."

Bennett, 29, is a veteran of eight NFL seasons with the Dallas Cowboys (2008-11), New York Giants (2012), and the Chicago Bears (2013-15). The 6-foot-6, 273-pounder, originally entered the NFL as a second-round draft pick (61st overall) out of Texas A&M by Dallas in the 2008 NFL Draft.

During his eight NFL seasons, Bennett has played in 199 games with 88 starts and has registered 348 receptions for 3,586 yards with 23 touchdowns. He has caught over 50 passes in each of the past four seasons.

Bennett’s best statistical season was in 2014 with Chicago when he was named to the Pro Bowl after finishing with 90 receptions for 916 yards and six touchdowns. His 90 receptions were the most ever by a Chicago tight end. Last season, Bennett started in all 11 games that he played in and totaled 53 receptions for 439 yards and three touchdowns.

"I think losing can be contagious and I think winning can be contagious, so I’m just looking forward to getting out and playing and I’m going to try and contribute and continue that tradition," said Bennett.

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...