Canelo Alvarez destroys Chavez Jr., announces September Golovkin bout

May 7, 2017

In a lopsided bout, Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) perhaps ended Julio Cesar Chavez Junior's (50-3-1, 32 KOs) career as a fighter of relevance when he dominated all twelve rounds of their fight Saturday night in Las Vegas with a magnificent boxing display.  He then immediately made the fight -- and Chavez Jr. for that matter -- an afterthought, announcing that Gennady Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) would be his next opponent on September 16.

But back to the fight.

Canelo beat Chavez, Jr. from pillar to post, earning a unanimous decision with all three judges scoring the fight 120-108.  Canelo was busier, more accurate, and faster to the punch.

"Tonight, I showed I could move, I could box, I showed as a fighter I can do all things," Canelo said. "I thought I was going to showcase myself as a fighter that could throw punches, but he just wouldn't do it. I've shown I can do lots of things in the ring, anything a fighter brings-I've shown I can showcase myself. I wanted to try something new, I never sit down in sparring and I didn't want to sit here."

Chavez Jr. actually made weight, appeared to be in shape, and seemed motivated to win over the hearts of his countrymen, but those preliminary indications of a competitive bout proved to be false, as he produced another lackluster performance that finally just might alienate his fans for good.

Chavez Jr. held a distinct size advantage, but failed to pressure Canelo.  Instead, he adopted a failed strategy of trying to box Canelo from the outside.

"Canelo beat me, he beat me at the distance," Chavez, Jr. said. "He is a very active fighter-he's very good and he beat me. I wanted to box but he went to the ropes and I just needed to throw more punches. I would've attacked more I would've been countered by his punches. Nacho told me to do that but the strategy didn't work. The speed and the distance was the key. I didn't feel that much power because I felt dwindled, I couldn't throw as many punches as I wanted."

Canelo then set the tone for his fight with Triple G.

"GGG-you are next, my friend," said Canelo.  "The fight is done. I've never feared anyone, since I was 16, fighting as a professional. When I was born, fear was gone. I never got my share of fear. I'm very happy, and the rivalry is going to show my skills even more. I've had difficult fights, and that will no doubt be a tough fight. But, I always say, Canelo Alvarez is the best because I fight the best."

Golovkin, seated at ringside, shared his thoughts as well.

"I feel very excited; in September, it will be a different style-a big drama show," said Golovkin. "I'm ready. Tonight, first congrats to Canelo and his team. Right now, I think everyone is excited for September. Canelo looked very good tonight, and 100 percent he is the biggest challenge of my career. Good luck to Canelo in September."

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...