Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter to battle for WBC welterweight belt

July 24, 2018

Two former champions in search of another big fight, may have found a fantastic matchup simply by deciding to fight each other, as stars Danny Garcia and “Showtime” Shawn Porter will square off for the vacant WBC Welterweight World Championship live on Showtime on Saturday, September 8, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

The WBC belt that will be on the line was vacated by Keith Thurman due to his rehabilitation from an elbow surgery.

“I’m excited and motivated to go in there and recapture what’s mine,” said Garcia. “The WBC title belongs to me. Come September 8, I’m going to prove that I’m the best fighter in the world. My loss is behind me and it’s given me a chip on my shoulder to run that extra mile and train even harder. I know that Shawn Porter is not on my level. I’m coming to fight him in the middle of the ring and I’m going to beat him at his game.”

The bout will pit two of the division’s biggest names against each other, as the former unified 140-pound champion and former WBC welterweight titleholder Garcia (34-1, 20 KOs) meets the hard-charging fan favorite and former welterweight champion Porter (28-2-1, 17 KOs).

“I’m going to force Danny Garcia to fight me, to be uncomfortable and to do things he’s not used to doing in a fight,” said Porter. “If Danny comes in being defensive and trying to hold, it may last a while. But if he comes and tries to trade with me and prove something to himself, then it will end fast. I think my style will give him problems and not allow him to pace himself. This is going to be an instant classic and I’m going to win and become champion once again.”

Garcia, 30, has fought and defeated many of the most formidable opponents at 140 and 147-pounds spanning two generations—Erik Morales, Zab Judah, Kendall Holt, Amir Khan, Lucas Matthysse, Paulie Malignaggi, and Lamont Peterson among them.  His lone loss was via decision to Keith Thurman in their title bout.

Porter, 30, owns victories over four-division champion Adrien Broner and two-division champion Paulie Malignaggi over a career that has seen him develop a reputation as one of the sport’s most reliable all-action attractions. He lost a narrow decision to unified welterweight champion Keith Thurman in a 2016 Fight of the Year candidate in Brooklyn, but rebounded with a TKO victory against former welterweight champion Andre Berto.

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...