Golden Boy adds Malignaggi-Porter title bout to April 19 card

March 17, 2014

Golden Boy Promotions has added a third title bout to its upcoming April 19 card headlined by Bernard Hopkins, as welterweights Paulie Malignaggi and Shawn Porter will clash for the IBF title.  The three bouts will be televised on Showtime and will take place at the D.C. Armory in Washington, D.C.

“I’m excited to be back in a title fight so soon after my win over Zab Judah.  I will become a three-time world champion on April 19,” said the 33-year-old Malignaggi.  “Porter is a good fighter and I’m sure he’ll be a champion again in the future, but he doesn’t have the tools or experience to beat me.”

In the other title fights, wily legend Bernard Hopkins will take on Beibut Shumenov, and Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin will face Lukas Konecny.

The up-and-coming Porter seemed quite optimistic of his chances.

“I fought hard to get this title.  Paulie says he wants it, but is he willing to go through me to get it?” said Porter, who won his crown with an impressive win over Devon Alexander last December. “Fighting Malignaggi is like fighting Alexander. They don’t have the strength or power to keep me away, and I will steamroll Paulie on my way to victory April 19.”

A native of Akron, Ohio, unbeaten Shawn “Showtime” Porter (23-0-1, 14 KOs) showed on Dec. 7, 2013 that all of the rave reviews he received since his amateur days were well deserved, as he scored a 12-round unanimous decision win over Devon Alexander to win the IBF Welterweight World title. Now the 26-year-old begins his reign on April 19 against “Magic Man.”

By Staff of The Daily Sports Herald and news services

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...