Tony Harrison injures ankle, withdraws from fight with Jermell Charlo

June 3, 2019

Super welterweight world champion Tony Harrison sustained an inner and outer ankle sprain with torn ligaments on his right ankle, and will be out for 10 weeks before he can resume training.  As a result of his injuries, he has withdrawn from his title defense against former world champion Jermell Charlo scheduled for Sunday, June 23, at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Harrison and Charlo plan to have their rematch later this year.

Harrison’s injury is the latest twist in the super welterweight division that started last December in Harrison and Charlo’s first encounter. Harrison won the decision to upset Charlo and take away the title. The close nature of the bout helped warrant an immediate rematch.

Stepping in to replace Harrison for a 12-round fight is veteran Jorge Cota (28-3, 25 KOs), who most recently lost a disputed split-decision in April against Jeison Rosario. The 31-year-old from Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico had scored three straight knockout victories before the defeat in April.

“Watching my Mexican brother Andy Ruiz fight last weekend, I am very motivated,’’ said Cota. “I saw how he got an unexpected chance to become a champion and surprise the world. He has inspired me to win this fight in the same way. I will shock the world on June 23 just like Andy did on Saturday, for Mexico, the country that I love. This is the most important fight of my career.’’

The 28-year-old Charlo will now have to wait for his opportunity to avenge the only loss of his career and regain his title against Harrison. Fighting out of Houston, Texas, Charlo won the vacant WBC title with a devastating knockout victory over John Jackson in 2016. He made three successful defenses of the title with highlight-reel knockouts over Charles Hatley and Erickson Lubin, plus a majority decision win over former champion Austin Trout.

“It feels like a heartbreak,” said Charlo. “I was ready to destroy Tony Harrison and now I’m going to get in there and destroy Cota. I always pray for my opponent to have safe care and make it to the fight healthy. It’s unfortunate that Tony Harrison isn’t my next victim. I want the best Harrison so I want him healed up and ready to go, because that will only bring out the best in me."

By Staff of TheDailySportsHerald.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage all intelligent, passionate comments. Please refrain from any ignorant, racist, or offensive rants.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...